The latest beta:
49.0b1 require OS X to be at least 10.9 now.
To my surprise, this morning when I started my browser, it didn’t. I got a “crashed windows” window - the one that usually pops up when it want to restore a session. Then it hit me… I received a new update last night just before I shut down everything here. I downloaded it, but didn’t restart.
OS X 10.9+
So, here’s the thing… The new beta has bumped the sysreq. to 10.9+ (I have 10.7.5 on my old Mac). In Finder it looks like this:
Now, normally that wouldn’t be much to react to. Most programs have a lower limit. It’s just that the implementation of it is bad.
To fix this, all you need to do is to edit the file:
Save and close. Now you’re good to go.
First, I hoped it was a miss from Firefox that someone accidently had done this, but when going to the download page - the one with the different “channels”, the button was gone.
Easy peasy… Just edit the UserAgent string, and it will return.
Taking my (really) old Safari:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_5) AppleWebKit/534.57.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1.7 Safari/534.57.7
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_9_5) AppleWebKit/534.57.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1.7 Safari/534.57.7
“–Hello! We meet again…”
So, why it’s bad…? The bad thing isn’t that Firefox bumped the version, the bad thing is the way they did it - how it’s implemented.
It’s one thing on the website - it might be (more) difficult to prevent users to change the UA. But in the program… If you set a sysreq. in a program to 10.9+, then you make sure it doesn’t run (&/or start) on anything below. Just by adding that number in
Info.plist isn’t enough. It must also be set in the code. All I had to do was to edit 1ne number, and it runs just fine.
Perhaps this bump is just preparing for code coming in later. I don’t know. It will be fun to see when and where it will crash… IF it will, that is. I suspect the version number is changed “just becase”.
At least for now.